Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pita Bread Pizza

            As of lately, I have been on a seriously healthy path. Choosing anything green over a mound of meat on my plate, I have been eating broccoli and string beans like they are never going to appear in my house ever again. On top of that, I have been trying to stay away from unhealthy foods, like my macaroni and cheese I blogged about a few weeks ago. With my new healthy take on food, I no longer enjoy the Friday night tradition of ordering greasy, expensive pizza from a local pizza place that has been a part of my life ever since I can remember.
Now, I understand that ordering a pizza from a pizza place is a quick and easy solution to dinner, it really isn’t worth it. To buy one pizza, it costs on average around 15 dollars, and that’s before toppings! On top of that, the pizzas are quickly made with little to no thought or effort, and are often made with artificial cheeses and other toppings. These pizzas are almost always topped with more than enough fake cheese, and covered in ridiculous amounts of grease. While the pizza may be warm and inviting when it is fresh out of the oven, having it delivered promises you a half an hour, or longer, wait, only for you to receive a pizza that is barely warm and dripping with grease. So, in the end, you pay the $15 for the pizza, and around $5 extra to get it delivered, just to receive a pizza that is barely appetizing, and not worth the money at all.
To satisfy my craving for pizza, I have discovered the pita pizza. Delicious, nutritious, and super easy to make, pita pizzas are a delectable alternative to the standard pizza. They are made with pita bread, real cheese, real sauce, and any other toppings that you could imagine, so they are healthier than a standard pizza, and they taste amazing! Best of all, they have little to no oil, so they are not nearly as greasy as a standard pizza is. One circle of pita bread makes a perfect dinner for one, but it is easy enough to make multiple pizzas to satisfy a group.

Pita Bread Pizza
Time: 10-15 minutes
Makes: 4-6 pita pizzas, depending on how many you decide to make

Ingredients:
            4-6 pita rounds (white or whole wheat)
            1 cup pizza sauce
            2 cups mozzarella cheese
            Toppings of your choice (veggies, cooked meats, cheeses, etc)

Procedure:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Spoon pizza sauce over the pita rounds
  3. Top with mozzarella and any desired toppings
  4. Place on a baking sheet and cook for 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted
  5. Serve immediately after cooking, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Nice introspection. Kitchen Aid in the next post should be capitalized. Don't eat too many vegetables, as they are not good for you.

    ReplyDelete