Monday, April 25, 2011

7 Layer Cookie Bars

This past weekend, I experienced my first 7 layer cookie bar, ever. Surprising, I know, as I am a total dessert girl. Not knowing what it was, I was excited, and a little nervous to try the small cut up bars that were sitting in front of me. Before I discovered the recipe to these delicious little treats, all I noticed about them was layer upon layer of sweet gooey-ness, all topped with coconut, a delicacy I have always been iffy with. I love the flavor of coconut (so much in fact that my car has consistently had a coconut air refresher in it since it was bought this past summer), but I have never liked the gritty texture of it, let alone that when it is shaved it is almost impossible to completely chew and swallow without leaving bits of coconut stuck in between your teeth.
While I never thought my issues with coconut would ever cease, they did, which is truly a miracle. Apparently, the trick to making coconut a completely delicious treat is to toast it, which is not something I had ever thought of before. Toasting the shavings makes them a little less malleable; therefore they can be chewed and swallowed without any difficulty. Coconut is the perfect topping to these scrumptious little treats.
While these cookie bars are probably the most delicious treats I have ever tried, they are terrible for you. Consisting of everything sweet and fattening, including sweetened condensed milk, these are a snack that should only be made on occasion, and should never be eaten days in a row like I ate them when I first had them (I think I ate about 4 to 8 squares a day for around 4 days until they were gone; not good.). To try and find a healthier version of these bars, I searched the internet for around an hour and a half, searching everywhere I could, but to no luck, I didn’t find a cookie bar that promised the same delicious flavors that this recipe does. Each healthy version still included some type of candy that was beyond fattening, or the sweetened condensed milk that promises an unhealthy treat. So, it is safe to say, if you want to enjoy a truly delicious cookie bar, a trip to the gym after is 100% necessary (if you eat them like I did)!


7 Layer Cookie Bars
Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 12 servings

Ingredients:
            ½ cup butter
            1 cup graham cracker crumbs
            1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
            1 1/3 cup flaked coconut
            ½ cup walnuts, chopped
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Procedure:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Melt butter in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan
  3. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs evenly over butter
  4. Sprinkle in layers, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, nuts, and top with coconut
  5. Pour condensed milk over all
  6. Bake for 30 minutes
  7. Let cool and cut in bars

No comments:

Post a Comment